Tuesday 29 September 2015

The Never Will

I was a loser back in middle school. I didn’t have many friends. The only joy I had was games. I needed to play in game center since we didn’t have internet back at home. You would take me there since I can’t go there alone. You would take me there every weekend, 4AM in the morning. Your eyes were sleepy, but you didn’t complain. You would pick me up around lunch, brought me foods and gave me a piggyback because I always fell asleep in the car.

Came high school, during Indonesian IOI national team selection. Everybody told me that I should give up. That I should pursue my study. That I had no chance in getting in. You were the only person to give me a push, telling me to try harder, telling me it's ok to skip classes and pursue my dream. It was announced that I was selected to be in the Indonesian IOI team, I was thrilled. You didn't budge. You you simply looked at me with those eyes. Those eyes saying “I never doubted you."

Back when I was an intern at Facebook, the new office was just set to be made. The designer was Frank Gehry - one of your favorite. One of the main reason why I am here right now was so I could bring you here. Give you a tour of the building. Show you around one of the best campus in Silicon Valley. Probably introduce you to Zuck. Look at how your good-for-nothing son is now your pride.

Yesterday out of habit, I sent you a message. A message saying that I've arrived safely at Taipei. A message that you'll never read.

There will never be a walk with you in Facebook office. I’ll never see your smile when I finally bought you a Black Jaguar of your dream. I’ll miss how you keep finding those articles about us that we never know, and boastfully share it to Facebook: “See how awesome my children have become.” I’ll miss your daily Minori photos.

Three days ago my father passed away. May his soul rest in peace, and be reunited with Eyang Poi, Eyang Bobo, Cici, Ditip, Bije, and Mumu.

We’ll live on your legacy, believing in your value: Migunaning tumraping liyan. رَحْمَةً لِلْعَالَمِين. Being a mercy for the world.


No comments:

Post a Comment